What Self-Defense Is
See our Bujin Spirit Self-Defense Courses
- Self Awareness well/ill, personal/business stressers
- Environmental Awareness know the area?, what's going on around you?
- Social Awareness of self-defense and weapons laws. Know that in the United States that the states of CA, DE, HI, IL, MA, MD, NJ, NY, & RI and Washington DC give criminals the edge over citizens. Canada, Australia, and western Europe also favor the criminals.
- Minimize your distractions: Listening to music, talking, texting, getting lost in thought, looking in store windows, or looking at the scenery
- Communication, verbal and non-verbal, from a position of self-confidence.
- Weapons Training with whatever weapons you would use: foot, fist, pepper spray, stun gun, knife or hand gun.
- Unarmed Training is always essential. Even if you plan to use a weapon you may not have time to draw when you need it. Your weapon may fail.
- Fitness is furthered with armed and unarmed self-defense practice. Being fit builds self-confidence through practice.
Why You Need Self-Defense Training
The Police are Unlikely to Be There to Protect You
We must handle the attacks of criminals on our own. We cannot even count on having time to call 911, let alone getting a timely response. According to FBI response time statistics:
For crimes of violence 26.6% of police responses were within five minute or less. The police response time at the Sandy Hook Elementary School mass murder of Dec. 14, 2012 in Newtown, CT was 20 minutes. This is outragous when you consider that the Newtown PD HQ is 2.14 miles away and according to Mapquest it is a 5 minute drive. And that 5 min is at the speed limit, no lights and sirens.
10.8% of response times for property crimes were within five minutes.
Relying on 911 can be Fatal
In 2002 a woman in Chicago called 911 three times. By the time the police arrived, 17 minutes after her initial call, she had been murdered.
In March 2008 a West Covina, California a woman was murdered as she was calling 911. The perps were eventually arrested.
Most Likely You'll Face a Hardened & Possibly Mentally Ill Criminal
Look at numbers. from our government
The Police May Opt to Not Protect You
We cover this in the self-defense law section. There we see that a woman's children were murdered because the police chose to not respond.
Self-Defense Works According US Dept of Justice Statistics
It is myth that complying with the demands of a criminal is the safe thing to do. Indeed it is even required under New Jersey law. You can never tell when a robbery can change into something else.
Bujin Spirit Self Defense Programs
Short focused programs for your needs
- Stop the Bully for Children
- General Self-Defense
- Women's Self-Defense
The first rule in self-defense is to not get hurt. By evading you get out of the line of attack lessening the attacker's advantage and giving you time to evaluate the situation and counter attack, if necessary.
On-site Self-Defense Training. AWSDA certification received for women's self-defense. Email us